Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Has Ghoulish Consequences!

Do You remember being my age, or younger, and there were no real fears of Stranger Danger, or having to check your candy for needles, staples, glass, poison, tampering, before we ate it? Do you remember when Halloween used to be a day that you could choose to be anything you wanted? I can recall some of the costumes back as far as I can, and I remember being a clown first. My mother thought I would make a cute clown at like 2 years old. I saw my reflection and it scared the hell out of me. Yes I remember that far back. I remember being Wonder Woman, with the plastic body costume and plastiform mask and thinking that was the most awesome thing. In years after I was Barbie, GIjoe, Pirates, Old funky looking farmer, Supergirl, and those are just the ones I can remember. Now I'm scared to let my kids even go trick or treating. For one, even the adults are in costume. For a child predator, what better time to try to nab a child? There's screaming everywhere because everyone is trying to spook each other, everyone is already in costume. What are you gonna say? "Freddy Krueger took my child". Really? Thank you maam that really helps. Or for the sickos out there, they stick bad things in candy and you have to tell them absolutely no consuming candy until it's been checked back home in the bright lights of our kitchen. You have to tell your kids to stay in groups and never leave ANYONE behind. Keep your cell phones on you. Take a Flashlight. If anyone approaches you that you don't know, to run to a house with lights on for help. It really takes the fun out of it.

I suppose the same can be said about flying, and homeland security. Only this is applied at personal families' level. What we do to be safe? I encourage parents to be overprotective. Don't let your little one's out of your site? Even try alternatives to trick or treating, offer the kids an awesome party at home catered by you and your creativity! Food that looks gross but tastes great, drinks that look like slime. A costume contest! you can still hand out candy to trick or treaters. Make sure that everyone that attends takes home a good haul of good safe candy provided by you. Ask everyone who comes to bring one large bag of candy with you. Reserve a few scary movies on Redbox ahead of time and you've spent a few bucks for a lot of entertainment. If you get really ambitious you can even make a haunted house for the kids to try to maneuver through out of the garage or the porch area. There's a lot of fun alternatives to the standard trick or treating. I'm just not sure it's worth it to let the kids do it the old fashioned way. The world is a very different place.
Whatever your choice of entertainment is this year, whether it's with your kids if you have them, or without, stay safe, watch out for each other and have fun! There's the Freaker's Ball in Kansas City. Many people are having parties. A lot of the local bars and nightclubs are having costume contests.

As for me and my family, no costumes this year. We will hand out candy to those who knock on our doors, but it's become a tradition to watch the Ghost Hunters live on SyFy channel. this year they are going to be at the Buffalo Grand Central Station. They've Hunted there before and gotten lot's of activity. This year they will broadcast live from 6pm to midnight. If you log onto Syfy.com you can interact with the Ghost Hunters, press the panic button if you see activity and chat online with them. That's awesome to me!

Happy Halloween to all my friends and soon to be friends and followers and to all your family! Stay Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment